Thursday, July 9, 2009

It Didn't Take Long

Flying in the plane, trying to hold onto that peace that came with the trip the the Northwest. Friendly people, comfortable temperatures, scenery that is too good for postcards, I wanted to keep that glow burning within me and have it act as a forcefield against the reality of the town my home has turned into. It was exciting once upon a time as the realtors and builders got excited, making money and building up apartments and condos and then it all fell apart and now it's two tons of steaming fertilizer in a one ton truck. But, for the moment, I could imagine a life of running in the sun without hardly sweating while I looked into the mountains to spot some wildlife. I would treat others as I would like to be treated and perhaps that would spread like some kind of good virus..
I was startled out of my reverie by a middle-aged, well-dressed woman saying, "Move it! I have a connection flight to catch!"
"I'm sorry, I have a flight to catch as well, but I'm getting down the overhead luggage for a couple that can't get it themselves."
"Well, I don't have any luggage, so just let me by!"
Poof...I'm in Atlanta getting pushed and shoved and got my hand on my wallet, not thinking for a moment of letting go of my backpack....I didn't even make it all the way home and the glow is a distant memory.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well I just read your last three blogs. I wish I could remember to read them each day. I am always happy to read them and see what you are thinking. Eddie turned 16 today. I am really looking forward to my next trip, I leave on my birthday.