Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Future

Man, I have no idea. I can't even see 6 month's out right now. My plans are for the next weekend, and then the next vacation adventure. Thoughts are about a car trip up the east coast, flying up to the backwoods of Maine, cruising in Alaska, or even contemplating a 6 month stretch of 'whatever'. I don't know because my job is changing and I was told that whatever happens, next year will be different. The things I do now will no longer be relevant, so I'm busy learning the things that I think might be useful down the road. That is quite a change, because most of the time I am busy making things work and learning more about the tools I use every day. It's a challenge, and a bit exciting actually, because I don't really desire a life where nothing ever changes. I still cannot imagine a life where I am retired and have 7 days a week to do what I try to cram into a weekend now. I watch my wife settle down with a book for half of the day and just don't see me doing that. I see me looking at rivers to paddle, waves to surf and trails to ride. If I have one hope it is that I somehow manage to have the energy to do those things when I get the opportunity. One thought does come around recently, is that I'd better grab my pieces of retirement where I can get them.

No comments: