Thursday, July 26, 2001

Tempered Steel

Every once in a while, you will see an ordinary person getting interviewed on television. The person has gone through some hardship or tragedy and the interviewer is asking them how they feel about what has happened. The subject invariably says that they don't like what happened but they feel like they have somehow improved themselves by going through the experience.
I don't know if all of us can relate to that, but I think many can. I went through years of bad times at work and now enjoy a workday of peace and happiness. Did I have to go through the bad times to appreciate the good times? I wonder about that because I work with other people that are unhappy, yet they are working at the same place I do.
In the same vein, maybe the kids that survive the ghetto and live and succeed in our society, have succeeded because of what they went through rather than in spite of it.
Could it be that the best members of our society are the ones with the strength of character and intellect to struggle out of hardship and make it in this world?

No comments: