Friday, July 27, 2001

the Trickle-Down Theory

I used to think that a reverse-Peter Principle applied to the public school system. Somehow a bad teacher would get a job at a school that couldn't get a good teacher and they both would be stuck for life. Schools don't do much firing and that teacher would never be able to get a transfer. Better schools that found mediocre teachers would force them to transfer, and the only open slots to them would be at the bad schools. By bad schools, I'm thinking inner-city, as depicted on the television show, Boston Public.
It made sense to me that nobody that could escape the old, beat-up schools and the population of students that have many other issues besides learning how to read.
Then I got a part-time job fixing computers in an inner-city school. Then I learned about something first-hand that I had only heard of before...there are really good people that are motivated to help, and would rather be where they are needed than somewhere easier, or where they could make more money. I remain in amazement of these people. Maybe that's why I chose to stay, even when the pay for tech people is less than half of what the private sector pays. I just hope that in some small way I am helping as well.

No comments: