Wednesday, February 4, 2009

If Only You Knew Where To Look



Maybe if you carry around a decent camera and click enough photos, sooner or later anyone would get lucky. I sure did this weekend. I froze my butt off camping at Blue Springs in Florida...but one thing the place is famous for is being the winter hangout for manatees. The water is a constant 72 degrees and that is nice and warm in the winter. For some reason, more and more manatees are showing up there and I just happened to catch this photo at 7:30 am, before the park opened and right after my first cup of coffee. What I saw before me was like an impressionist painting, the sun coming up and the steam rising from the water and what at first seemed to be boulders in the stream. Once your eyes focused and realized that you were seeing something along the lines of 200 manatees in close quarters, the thrill deepened. The photo was right there, the image that the longer you looked, the more you saw.
The most amazing part is that in spite of our fellow Floridians best efforts at paving over all that is nature, this still exists only 22 miles away from the big city!

No comments: