Saturday, July 3, 2010

Getting Directions

Bah...I've got a cold, no voice, but I can enjoy this trip regardless. I love the people of this region, everyone has been very nice and welcoming. I think that I'm so far away that none of these folks will have met a Florida person before, when I find out last night the lady working the counter at our hotel is from Clermont! How do you end up in Sussex, New Brunswick from Clermont?
One of the things that really has me smiling is getting directions. Everyone is helpful, but the directions sound like something from a joke. I'm in a relatively rural place and nobody ever knows street names. It goes something like this: go to the bridge and make a 'shop' left, a 'shop' left mind you, and then follow that road for a ways and look for a little pull off on the left. Or: Take hwy 1 to the flashing light, go behind the Chevy dealership and make a 'shop' right at the railroad tracks....I'm usually laughing before they finish the directions because my brain is unable to hold all of the details. We finally found our hotel last night after asking directions twice...the dang gps is useless and my phone has no data, so we are really doing this trip old school with paper maps and asking locals for help. It did help us find the secret 'Jasper Beach', which was a find that many Maine people probably never get to see!

No comments: