Monday, May 16, 2011

I Heard The Hawk Call My Name

Man, if I was an American Indian back in the day, I would know that there was some kind of omen about today. I have remarked before that I sometimes see more wildlife in a short walk around our suburb than I have on trips to the great wilderness parts of our continent. Perhaps it is because hunting is not allowed in the city limits, but I like to think that like us, animals prefer the warm climate and have somehow learned to deal with the environment man has made.
I ran in the house this morning after my daily run, exclaiming to the missus that I saw more exotic wildlife in the last hour than I did on our whole trip to Canada last year. There was a large hawk sitting right above me on the telephone line not far from home and then coming down our street I spied the local armadillo foraging about in the shrubs. That was a good start to the day. The cool weather, a good run, and getting to see some happy animals. I knew that this was a good sign, maybe even for the week.
I found myself ready for work early and took two steps out of the front door with the daily garbage in hand and stopped dead in my tracks. There on the edge of the roof of my house, not 30 feet away, was the large hawk. She perched for for a minute or so, staring straight at me, feathers all fluffed up, before she took wing...message delivered.

No comments: