Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Early Birds Got The Waves


I think of myself as an early riser, and there have been many complaints over the years of me making too much noise too early in the morning. This day, however, I must have been one of the last people up and on the beach, and this was at 8:15 in the morning!
You see, Hurricane Bill was passing us by and just happened to be the perfect distance away to cause large waves and strong offshore wind. This meant big waves everywhere, but as the Cape around Cocoa Beach leaves some areas more protected, some places were getting giant closeouts, while the Jetties were seeing much smaller and more manageable waves. From the photo above, you can see that this spot that normally sports 0 surfers, now contained every surfboard sold in the last 5 years. I actually drove to 3 different unpopular spots before I could find a parking spot. I didn't know there were that many surfers in the area until this day.
The bottom line was that the waves looked good and it was inspiring to see so many of us in one place, but the waves were hard to catch and there were way too many surfers for the number of waves. Once more I got the lesson that a mediocre day of waves with a small crowd is much better than an epic day with giant crowds. Another reminder of why I need to be in Florida as opposed to Hawaii and California with their crowded surf spots.
Oh, and did I mention how nice and warm that water was?

No comments: