Thursday, August 27, 2009

Why Can't I Just Sit Back And Enjoy the Music?

I don't know if it's the Internet's fault or the fact I spent so many years working in the library doing research, but it seems like I always get obsessed and have dig in and find the complete history of anything I get excited about.
This time it was just a song, a simple song that resonated with me. The guitar riff sounded almost as if it came from my head, something I had been humming all my life. The lyrics were funny, thoughtful and inspiring all at the same time. I enjoyed this song that just happened to be on a used iPod I bought to replace the one that was destroyed in the hailstorm.
It was a country rock tune, a genre I don't normally listen to, but I loved this song and it's twang like a ugly pup from the dog pound. Then, just because I'm me, I had to dig around and find out more. All I can say is "I Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then".
Man, I don't ever watch American Idol, so the singer's name meant nothing to me, but once I found that he was somebody voted off the show, I knew what was next; yup, the song was written by a professional songwriter that has cranked out more hits than I could count.
Once more, my dream of a young songwriter working his way through smokey bars and leaving the farm for glory in LA has been been crumbled into small shiny pieces. It was the machine at work and what was presented on stage and on the song was just what we were supposed to get.
I did however, go post my praise on the songwriter's website. I'd love to hear his recorded version of the song someday....

No comments: