Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Dickean Universe

I just didn't finish watching "Timecrimes" because I was too weirded out by the overdubbing. You knew the film was in Spanish, but they had dubbed the English in so well that the lips seemed to actually say English words, but the voices sounded ethereal as if recorded in a large church. I would much rather have had subtitles.
The movie did kind of get me thinking about our perception of reality and all of the movies based on Philip K. Dick books that mainly question our senses. If you can't trust your eyes, ears, and memory, just how firmly can you grasp our world? I loved his books and need to go back and find the ones I missed. You should read "Ubik" if nothing else. I believe the movie "Vanilla Sky" with Tom Cruise is the closest plot to that book.
Back in what I believe to be "real life", I am having such a time. It is as if things I know very well have been transported to some strange alternate world. My computer is familiar, as are some of the people around me, but instead of working in this really cool school for counter culture kids, I am in a whisper-quiet bank environment. My shoes actually whisk on the carpet as I head to the restroom and encounter these other strange people that give me the "what are you doing here?" look. Looks....lots of strange looks, and strained smiles. Nervous laughter and a parking lot that seems to say, I'm almost full right now, but who knows about tomorrow?
All the time I'm thinking, I'm turning into a banker. In a week, it will be hard to remember days of gross-out humor, fart jokes, and banter about basketball games. Now, there is the computer screen, lunch, and the restroom, nothing more.
Another book comes to mind: The man in the grey flannel suit. I need to find that book fast...

No comments: