Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Having Slept In Seattle

I'm writing from the opposite place of where I reside. Having recently left the steaming hellhole called Orlando, that place where t-shirts, shorts and flip-flips should be required wearing (and that is for in-doors work), I flew northwestward to the land where the sun never shines and the temperature is always like an air conditioned office. Of course I have been fortunate enough to hit this city on a beautiful, sunny day and everyone here is more than pleasant. From convenience store, to rental car, to hotel, everyone acts like, "I made it here, what more could I ask for?". I'm a little skeptical that these attitudes can prevail over a winter of gray skies and driveling rain, but for this trip, I would like to pretend that it is always like this in Nirvana, I mean Seattle.
The first impression I got from downtown is that everything looks old and really cool. Made me wish I had some dreadlocks and an old beat-up guitar and could stand on the street corner and play. Always present in the background is the elegant Mount Rainier, which unfortunately to me stands for a beer can. When I was a kid, there was some brand of beer that had a picture of Mount Rainier on the can, and dang it, that Mountain does look just like the one on that beer can.
The goal of this trip is for me to get as peaceful as this place. So far, I have only totally freaked out about 3 times, but that was getting here, not being here....

No comments: