Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Last Thing I Thought I Would Ever See Here

So I saw them throw the fish at the Pike Place Fish Market, and I ate fish tacos at a really good eatery in the waterfront, but the real reason I was on this trip was to get off the grid, and that was gonna be tougher than I thought. The traffic in Seattle was not as bad as a I feared, but I did get stuck because of an accident during rush hour. It ended up being over 4 hours driving to Port Angeles, but as in most cases, the journey was as important as the destination. The drive was amazing, with snow-capped mountains on my left, giant bridges to cross, beautiful dark blue water, and the bright green permanent Christmas trees everywhere. I was doing what most people don't do. I was driving all around the water instead of taking the long ferry across to Victoria, Canada. I wanted to see the countryside and this was the perfect way to do it. The wildest part of the ride was crossing the bridge to Bainbridge. the wind was kicking up harder than I have seen it outside of a hurricane and at times a wave would splash up onto the bridge itself. I had both hands firmly on the wheel, hoping I was going to make it across. I then drove through nothing but woods for hours, hoping that I had the gas to make it back out of here. Around 8:30 pm, I was still driving and it was daylight as if it was 3 in the afternoon back home. I had made it to Port Angeles and found the ferry I would take the next morning. I found a passable hotel room and was steered to the restaurant next door, which was great. I had no reason to expect anything at all, but the waitress made sure she earned one of the best tips I have ever given, and I was one happy guy. I had made it! I was at the farthest tip of the Olympic penninsula. I was so far out, that I bet most folks that live in Seattle have never made it here. This was truly off the beaten path and I marvelled at that as I stood and stretched back, looking once more at the Olympic mountains with their snow and clouds.
That is when a silver Chevy Suburban drove by with surfboards on the roof...

No comments: