Thursday, December 3, 2009

Spending the Holidays in Florida

Even after a lifetime, Florida seems like a strange place in the wintertime. I went surfing last weekend and while the air was cold enough for a sweatshirt, the water was still 72 degrees, which felt like it was helping keep me warm.
This morning I went out for the paper and the air temp is in the 70's, almost muggy warm. That is supposed to change as I'm heading out on a camping trip in what might be cold, rainy weather.
I look around at the Christmas decorations and think I'm really going to need that Charlie Brown Christmas music to get things going. One year I bought that album with the Jazz piano group playing that song that they must really get sick of being asked to play. It's really odd that I love that whole package, the song and the little cartoon special. It seems so minimalist now, but the idea that I sat as a kid and watched a show about a kid being depressed at Christmas, makes me feel that even way back then we knew that we needed to get back to the spirit of things.
Charlie Brown had the snow and the ice skating, but even in Florida, without all those trappings, Florida, the land of the Christmas Palm tree, we still know what the celebration is really about.

No comments: